- Run cool water over the burn for 10 to 20 minutes. *Do not use ice.
- Remove any jewelry or clothing around the burn. If clothing is stuck to the burn, don’t remove it. Carefully cut around the stuck fabric to remove loose fabric. Remove all jewelry, it may be hard to remove it later if swelling occurs.
If you are going to see your doctor soon:
- Cover the burn with a clean, dry cloth to reduce the risk of infection.
- Do not put any solution or medicine on the burned area, so your doctor can properly evaluate your burn.
- Do not put ice or butter on the burned area, these measures do not help and can damage the skin tissue.